The Carian Trail (Karya Yolu) isn’t really a ancient site of any type. Rather it is a hiking trail running along the west coast of Turkey. We’ve included it with the site descriptions as it has both information and links to further information.
The Carian Trail (Karia Yolu in Turkish) opened in 2013. In all it is over 800 km with 150 km of that on the Loryma peninsula. That section of the trail on the Loryma passes by various of the ruins, and so we list some information on the trail here. The different websites lists a variety of pieces of information on the sites along the Carian Trail.
The Carian Trail covers 800 km of the west coast of Turkey. In part it passes by the ruins which this collection of web pages deals with. The logistics of hiking over 800 km are quite extensive and pose a test to most hikers. As the Carian Trail is marked with flashings of red and white paint on trees or rocks, it can be used to find various of the ruins – an example being Kastabos where the Carian Trail runs directly up to the ruins and then away by a different path.
Our use of the markings for the Carian Trail has been quite positive. Occasionally nature (or man) intervenes and some of the markings are absent (e.g.a tree that had the red and white markings is cut down and carried away as fire wood). But generally we have found the trial to be very well marked – and marked for both directions of travel.
- official page for Carian Trail (English)
- the official guidebook is listed along with GPS coordinates in either GPX and KML format
- site on Carian Trail (Turkish)
- this appears to be a Turkish version of the first website listed
- commercial site on Carian Trail (Turkish)
- this website appears to be linked to an unnamed commercial operation
- it does have small write ups on some of the ancient sites
- under the menu “Kariakademia”, use Google Translate to translate
- Wikipedia page on Carian Trail
- has links to the other Wikipedia pages on ancient settlements along the Carian Trail
- Carian Trail Guidebook by Yunus Özdemir, Altay Özcan and Dean Livesley
- English language guidebook to the complete Carian Trail
© The contents of this site are the copyright property of the authors. Visitors may read, copy, or print any material for their own use, free of charge. No material printed or copied from this site, electronically or in any other form, may be sold or included in any work to be sold without explicit permission from the authors.