Miscellaneous Small Projects

Note: click any images to enlarge

This page captures various changes we have made to Maringret which although beneficial don’t require their own page.

 &  & 

Fitted Solar Panels (2004)

We moved our two 25 watt solar panels from the Maxi 95, additionally we purchased two more panels of 50 watts each. After reviewing the available locations we decided to mount them on the top of the davits. Part of the problems with the new ketch rig was that there was more “stuff” in the air to cast shadows on the solar panels. We had two 25 mm stainless tubes welded onto the davits and then the NOA fittings attached to these.

Fitted Wind Generator (2004)

As with the solar panels we moved the Aero4Gen wind generator from the Maxi. With 2 masts to choose from we were able to avoid mounting a support pole on the decks. We decided to mount the wind generator on the forward side of the mizzen mast, above the radar that was already mounted there. Subsequently we found out that there was originally a mizzen stay sail that the wind generator would interfere with. As we did not receive this sail when we bought Maringret we were unaware of its existance. From what we have been able to find out from other ketch owners the mizzen stay sail is a rarely set sail so perhaps we didn’t loose too much in our trade off?

Replaced Boat Name (2004)

We found a print shop that specialised in printing signs for external (and marine) use. It was more like desktop publishing than anything else, we supplied them the text we wanted (i.e. vessel name and port of registry) along with desired size, colour and the font we wanted. What came out was printed on a backing that allowed it to be transfered accurately to the hull. We think this turned out very well and would certainly recommend it to anyone wondering about the process.

Replaced Curtains (2005)

The curtains were all looking very tired when we bought Maringret so we decided to replace them. We had hoped to be able to use a sun-blocking material for backing that we had seen in Spain but were unable to locate it in the northern markets of Europe. The idea is that it reflects a portion of the heat and light back out the window, thereby keeping the interior cooler and also sparing the fabric of the curtains. As of the summer of 2009, four years after these curtains were made, the fabric is faded – even in such northerly lattitudes.

Fitted New Berth in Aft Cabin (2005)

As there was no double berth on the HR 41 we decided to create one in the aft cabin. We made it transverse to the boat by building it over the existing “V” berth. So far we have left this in softwood which has been painted a brown to match the neighbouring mahogany. We got a double width mattress from Ikea which comes with its own slats – this meant the flow of air under the mattress is good. Our intention is to convert the bed frame to proper sepele mahogany.

Removed Reflex Heater (2007)

Maringret had a lovely Reflex diesel heater in the saloon when we bought her. Unfortunately it had been installed in one of the two sea berths, alright for day sailing but not much use for ocean passages. Gravity fed radiators had been hooked up to the heater with radiators in the forepeak, aft cabin and aft head. We removed the Reflex heater in order to reclaim the sea berth, the radiators were removed at the same time. In place of the Reflex we installed a Dickinson Newport heater next to the compression post in the saloon.

Converted Davits to Rotate 180 Degrees (2008)

We do not always use our davits, also when mooring Maringret for a winter we are able to deduct 1 meter from her length by rotating the davits inboard. We had toyed with the idea of also having it so we could position the davits straight outwards (i.e. out to the side from the hull) or straight inwards but could not come up with a use for that. We did not intend to carry a dinghy in the davits for the ocean passages so the davits being out the rear was not a necessity. We also wondered if having the solar panels, which sit on the davits, around a wind vane would interfere with its operation. Taking these concerns together made the decision to have the davits cut and flanges fitted so the davits could be rotated 180 degrees.
One benefit that has come from the modification is that we can now mount accesories like barbeque and outboard motor mounting brackets between the flanges of the davits. We anticipate that something similar can be done for fitting a tiller pilot to our Hydrovane wind vane.

Removed Samson Posts (2009)

The Hallberg Rassy 41 was built over 5 years from 1976 until 1981. For the first year only they built in samson posts both forward and aft. This was discontinued from the second year onwards. With huge cleats both forward and aft we never used the samson posts and seemed to mainly trip over them. While we were lifting the teak decks we also removed the samson posts. The decks were not fixed to the samson posts, simply sealed with polysulfide caulking. Both posts were glassed onto the keel and we cut them off where they joined the keel.

  • Nigel Calder’s “Boatowner’s Mechanical and Electrical Manual” at Amazon
  • Steve Dashew’s “Offshore Cruising Encyclopedia” available for free download here
  • Fred P. Bingham’s “Boat Joinery & Cabinet Making” at Amazon
  • Daniel Spurr’s “Upgrading the Cruising Sailboat – 2nd Edition” at Amazon
  • Practical Sailor magazine

© The contents of this site are the copyright property of the authors.  Visitors may read, copy, or print any material for their own use, free of charge.  No material printed or copied from this site, electronically or in any other form, may be sold or included in any work to be sold without explicit permission from the authors.