When we bought Maringret she had a 25 lb CQR which the survey highlighted as being too light for a 5 ton boat. The Maxi 95 was not built with a bow roller for the anchor line but a previous owner had fitted a sturdy one.
We replaced the CQR with a 15kg Bruce anchor and moved the CQR to use as a stern anchor. We have 30 meters of 9mm chain on the Bruce spliced into 60 meters of 22mm 8 strand anchoring line. The line is then tied onto a fast point in the anchor locker. We keep an anchoring buoy on 15 meters of polypropylene in the anchor locker and usually buoy the Bruce when we put it out. We secure the anchor line to the cleat we have on the foredeck.
Realising that we needed a second dependable anchor, we noticed that Practical Sailor magazine had selected the Spade anchor as its product of the year twice in a row. Friends had a Spade and were very impressed with its performance. We ended up ordering an 15 kg aluminum Spade anchor (which is rated the same as a 30 kg steel version).
After 4 years use the Bruce anchor has only failed once and that was during trying to load it after setting in a harbour known for its grassy bottom. It has not failed after being set by reversing on it. We’ve rarely put more than 5 meters of line out as 30 meters of chain gives quite a bit of scope. As we don’t have an anchor winch, 30 meters of 9mm chain is about all that one person can pull in. And that is a real chore.
We have not deployed our Spade anchor. We finally deployed it some 15 years later, described here.
© The contents of this site are the copyright property of the authors. Visitors may read, copy, or print any material for their own use, free of charge. No material printed or copied from this site, electronically or in any other form, may be sold or included in any work to be sold without explicit permission from the authors.